The Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) at the William K. Sanford Town Library operates in accordance with national (American Library Association) and local (Capital District Library Council and Upper Hudson Library System) guidelines.
Our service extends to library cardholding residents of the Town of Colonie. Our mission is to locate and acquire articles, books, and other library materials in accordance with copyright law that are not available from libraries in the Upper Hudson Library System.
Searching process for patrons:
1. Check the UHLS web catalog Books, CD’s, VHS, and some DVD’s not owned by Colonie may be requested from other UHLS libraries. Library patrons may submit a request through the online catalog.
2. Check WorldCat A WorldCat search may help you identify the item or items you are looking for. WorldCat also identifies owning libraries. Although patrons cannot place a request through WorldCat, ILL at Colonie can place a request for an identified item.
3. Check our database page for periodical articles in full-text. Academic Search Premier includes the full-text of many journal and magazine articles. Our newspaper databases (New York State Newspapers, Custom Newspapers and Newspaper Source) include full-text articles from the New York Times, New York Post, and other state, national and international newspapers.
4. If you need additional information, please submit a request for a book or periodical as explained below.
Submit a Request:
Submit your request in any of the following ways:
1. Submit an online request.
2. Stop by the Information Desk at the Colonie Library and complete an Interlibrary Loan Request form.
3. Call the Information Desk, 518-810-0314, and a staff member can complete an Interlibrary Loan Request form with you over the telephone.
Items recently published (within the prior six month period)
Reference (non-circulating items)
Books published before 1920
DVD’s, computer software
Items valued $10.00 or less
Member libraries of UHLS and of CDLC do not charge for loans or copies (up to 30 pages of copies). Some libraries outside our system charge a lending or copying fee. We pass this cost on to the patron. Loan fees range from $10.00-$30.00. Patrons will be notified of a transaction charge before an item is ordered.
An ILL transaction usually takes between ten days and two weeks. Variables that affect the borrowing process include: the number of libraries that own a requested item (many/few), the status of the item (checked in/checked out) (circulating/reference), the shipping method, and the human element (full-time staff/part-time staff).
The lending library determines the loan period. Traditionally, a loan period extends from 21-30 days. Patrons requesting renewals on ILL items must contact the ILL office at Colonie before the due date. Our policy allows for a five-day extension period during which we contact the lending library and formally request a renewal. Lending libraries may issue a recall on an item during the loan period. Recalled items must be returned immediately.
Some ILL lenders stipulate that books loaned to our library patrons be kept “on site.” The Library of Congress places this restriction on all items loaned. At Colonie, we store items for “on site use” behind the Circulation Desk and require that patrons leave their library card at the Circulation Desk while viewing the requested item. Microfilm must be used on site.
Patrons are limited to five simultaneous requests.
ILL items must be returned to the circulation desk at the Colonie Library.
ILL fines are set at $.25 per day per item.
Information Desk 518-810-0314
Interlibrary Loan 518-458-9274
Postal Address 629 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
Interlibrary Loan for Institutions
The Colonie Library participates in OCLC Resource Sharing and accepts ALA forms by mail, fax (518-452-5441), or email. Please attach the ALA form to an email request.