Interlibrary services locate and acquire articles, books, and other library materials in accordance with copyright law that are not available from libraries in the Upper Hudson Library System.
Required to have a library card and live within the Town of Colonie. Sign up for a library card >
Steps to Search
- Check the catalog > Library cardholders may request items themselves from other UHLS libraries > online.
- Check the newspaper database > Includes full-text articles from the New York Times, New York Post, and other state, national and international newspapers.
- Check WorldCat > May help identify the item and which libraries have ownership. Some shown titles may not be available. Submit a request with the links below.
- Submit a request (see below) for a book or periodical as explained below.
Items recently published (within the prior six month period)
Books published before 1920
DVD’s, computer software
Items valued $10.00 or less
Member libraries of UHLS and of CDLC do not charge for loans or copies (up to 30 pages of copies). Some libraries outside our system charge a lending or copying fee. If so, this cost is passed on to the patron. Loan fees range from $10.00-$30.00. Patrons will be notified of a transaction charge before an item is ordered.
An ILL transaction usually takes between ten days and two weeks. Variables that affect the borrowing process include: the number of libraries that own a requested item (many/few), the status of the item (checked in/checked out; circulating/reference), the shipping method, and the human element (full-time staff/part-time staff).
- Loan period
- determined by the lending library (usually 21-30 days)
- patron must contact the ILL office before the due date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org > or by calling 518-458-9274
- policy allows for a five-day extension period during which the ILL office contacts the lending library and formally requests a renewal
- Lending libraries may issue a recall on an item during the loan period. Recalled items must be returned immediately.
Some ILL lenders stipulate that books loaned must be kept “on site” at the Colonie Library. These items will be kept behind the Circulation Desk and patrons will be required to leave their library card at the Circulation Desk while viewing the requested item. The Library of Congress places this restriction on all items loaned.
Patrons are limited to 5 simultaneous requests.
ILL items must be returned to the circulation desk at the Colonie Library.
ILL fines are set at $.25 per day per item.
629 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
Interlibrary Loan for Institutions
The Colonie Library participates in OCLC Resource Sharing and accepts ALA forms > by mail or email. Please attach the ALA form to an email request.
The Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) at the William K. Sanford Town Library operates in accordance with national (American Library Association) and local (Capital District Library Council and Upper Hudson Library System) guidelines.